Tuesday, May 10, 2005

On the Yellow Brick Road again

The story of Dorothy's adventures as hero's journey, (in the good company of Luke Skywalker, Beowolf and others) is a personal metaphor that I seem to revisit periodically. My journey toward ordained ministry began with a tornado (Indiana variety) and at most important events along the way, red shoes have been involved. Along the way, I I've met my intellect, my heart and courage. Max, my terrier companion, has been my little Toto, has steadfastly reminded me that I always have all that I need with me. Thanks to Caroline Myss's book Sacred Contracts for her interpretation of Dorothy as hero. I read it last year as I was preparing to leave the Cathedral in Paris to return home and it was just what I needed.

Now I find myself making costumes for a local school's production of The Wizard of Oz. Dorothy, the Wicked Witch of the West and two Glinda's (the principle and the understudy are not at all the same size - drat!) have taken over my dining table. I'm having fun and it feels like metaphor work. The show is in a week and a half and I still have much to do. But all things considered, I'm glad I'm not in Kansas. Afterall, what's the point of meeting yourself on a journey if you only go back to the starting place?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home