Sunday, October 30, 2005

How Rosa Parks saved us

In honor of the life and work of Rosa Parks, at Faith Episcopal this morning, we heard the words of Harriet Tubman and the story of a snapping turtle. If you wonder how that goes together, read the whole sermon here.

Here's today's reading from Harriet Tubman, courtesy of Marcia Riggs Anthology Can I Get A Witness?.

“I knew of a man, who was sent to the State Prison for twenty-five years. All these years he was always thinking of his home, and counting by years, months, and days, the time till he should be free, and see his family and friends once more. The years roll on, the time of imprisonment is over, the man is free. He leaves the prison gates, he makes his way to his old home, but his old home is not there. The house in which he had dwelt in his childhood had been torn down, and a new one had been put up in its place; his family were gone, their very name was forgotten, there was no one to take him by the hand to welcome him back to life.”

“So it was wid me, I had crossed de line of which I had so long been dreaming. I was free; but dere was no one to welcome me to de land of freedom, I was a stranger in a strange land, and my home after all was down in de old cabin quarter, wid de olde folks, and my brudders and sisters. But to dis solemn resolution I came; I was free, and dey should be free also; I would make a home for dem in the North, and de Lord helping me, I would bring dem all dere. Oh, how I prayed den, lying all alone on de cold, damp ground; ‘Oh, dear Lord,’ I said, ‘I haint got no friend but you. Come to my help, Lord, for I’m in trouble!’ ”

Preach it Sister Tubman!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home